Sawtry is a large village in the district of Huntingdonshire in the county of Cambridgeshire lying just west of the Fens, halfway between the city of Peterborough and the town of Huntingdon.
Other nearby villages include Folksworth, Alconbury, Holme, Yaxley, and Stilton. Being situated in close proximity to the A1(M), it is a sought-after location for commuters. It is approximately six miles north of the A14, and a fifty-minute car drive from both Stansted Airport and Luton Airport.
From Saltrede to Sawtry
During the Dark Ages, Sawtry was divided into three parishes – All Saints, St. Andrew and Sawtry Judith, and originally got its name from the fact that it was a trading centre for salt, an essential commodity in the Middle Ages – Saltrede (11th century); Saltreia (12th century); Sautre (13th century) and Sawtry (16th century to modern times). The Cistercian Abbey of St Mary was founded in 1147 by Simon de Senlis grandson of Judith De Lens, niece of William the Conqueror who owned land in many parts of Britain but built her Manor in Sawtry and whom the Parish of Sawtry Judith is named after. The Abbey took 91 years to complete and ministered to the local area both spiritually and physically. This was demolished in 1540 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries as part of the English Reformation, although traces of the Abbey still remain. Read more about Sawtry history
Pubs and clubs
Sawtry has two public houses, The Bell and The Greystones. It also has an Ex-Services and Working Men’s Club. It has an Infant school and a Junior school and a Community college which educates many young people from nearby villages as well as Sawtry itself.
A variety of shops and businesses
Sawtry today is an extensive parish with a large village centre, home to a variety of shops and businesses.